Updated: Jun 1, 2020
I was having a conversation with a friend about why people hire stylists when there are so many ‘influencers’ on Instagram who promote so many different looks. After talking it through at length she suggested that I write a blog about the topic, so here are my thoughts.
Firstly, I love Instagram, I also follow many influencers myself whose style I think is great and I admire, however, I also recognise that what looks great on them may not look the same way on me, in fact in most cases it looks nothing like the same. We all know the reasons for this, we are all different, with different hair colour, eyes, body shape, height, hang-ups etc etc and this is where working with a stylist can help and here’s why:
• It’s not about us, it’s about you - We take the time to understand you, in detail! your lifestyle, your current wardrobe, what you like and don’t like about yourself, your natural colouring and body shape and then we work with you to create an easier way for you to dress. Personal Styling is not about what I look like, I’m not going to make my clients look like me (heaven forbid). Everyone has a different personality, likes different looks, admires different people, working with a stylist helps you to embrace this and look like a more stylish version of yourself.
• Everyone is different – The reasons some my clients come to me and how they have found me has been incredibly varied, however what normally happens is that the underlying reasons they need help has nothing to do with what they think it is. These reasons range from having a lack of time, lack of confidence, a throw away comment by someone that has made them conscious, through to deep beliefs about themselves that they have come to believe is their reality. We help them to develop greater confidence in themselves, help change those negative beliefs, look and feel fabulous!
• Different shapes suit different people – Understanding your proportions is one of the key things that we look at during a style consultation. Creating a balanced sense of proportion and silhouette is one of the most important factors in getting an overall look fitting well and helping you to achieve a sense of confidence with your choices. So many people are wearing cuts or styles that don’t work for them, however we give you the knowledge of yourself to be able to avoid these mistakes and make the most out of your shape.
• Colour can suit everyone – However, getting the tone, shade and depth of the colours right is key to helping you look your best. Generally people’s natural colouring falls into one of two categories either cool or warm. People with cool colouring generally have a pink / blue undertone to their skin, hair and eyes and people with a warm colouring have a more yellow / orange undertone. Once you understand the colours that look best on you naturally shopping for yourself becomes easier and you begin to be intuitive about your choices leading to less mistakes and a wardrobe that works every day.
• We enjoy what we do – We save you time, money and stress, so that you have the time to focus on what is important to you. Many of my clients don’t enjoy shopping, however they do realise how important their own personal brand is in business and so they delegate that part of their business to me, knowing that they are my priority and that I love seeing them look amazing.